The VSHP Mentorship Program was established to give students a stress-free experience with pharmacists with similar interests and backgrounds. Unlike rotations, there are no set hours that need to be completed, nor are there any particular assignments. It is our hope that leaving the details up to the student and mentor fosters an environment that creates enrichment and encouragement, as well as a lifelong relationship.
This program will give mentors an opportunity to influence the next generation of health system pharmacists while allowing students to see the profession from a different perspective. The program runs in the fall and spring semesters. Each mentor-student pairing will be given the opportunity to continue their pairing throughout the student’s time as a student.
To provide each student the opportunity to develop one-on-one relationships with practicing pharmacy professional.
1. Must be a current pharmacy student member of SVSHP.
2. Desire to be a mentee (being receptive to learning, developing a learning relationship with a mentor)
3. Be receptive to the advice and counsel of the mentor
1. Must be a practicing health-system pharmacist
2. Provide guidance, encouragement, motivation and support to the mentee in selecting and developing post-graduate goals and opportunities
3. Maintain at least one monthly contact (via phone, E-Mail) with the mentee
4. Acquaint the mentee with the mentor’s area of practice and discuss various curricular options whereby he/she can gain expertise in this area if desired
5. Expand the mentee’s network of contacts with other pharmacists in the field if opportunities arise
6. Identify resources to help the mentee enhance personal development and career growth
7. Provide continuous advice and feedback
1. Apply for the program by completing the application via the following links (links will be active during the sign-up period in the Fall):
Why become a mentor?
"Every new practitioner can benefit from mentorship. Whether you need specific advice on how to best perform specific job duties or balance your personal and professional lives or need someone with more experience to place perspective on your successes and failures, mentors can provide the insight you need to establish a successful and rewarding career." Altman, JS. The value of mentorship. Am J Health-Syst Pharm: Vol 62, Dec 1, 2005: 2477